What is FreeGeoIP for Symphony CMS?
FreeGeoIP for Symphony CMS returns a users geolocation information based off the awesome freegeoip.net API allowing you to then use this information when presenting the front-end of your website (or another way you see fit).
An example of the data set returned in your page XML:
<user-geo-info> <Ip>220.127.116.11</Ip> <CountryCode>US</CountryCode> <CountryName>United States</CountryName> <RegionCode>CA</RegionCode> <RegionName>California</RegionName> <City>Mountain View</City> <ZipCode>94043</ZipCode> <Latitude>37.4192</Latitude> <Longitude>-122.0574</Longitude> <MetroCode>807</MetroCode> <AreaCode>650</AreaCode> </user-geo-info>
There is a request limit of 10,000 per hour.
Alternatively you can download the source code for freegeoip.net off GitHub and run your own server and simply update the
$location variable in the class.freegeoip_service.php file.
A stock-standard install process. Full instructions on how install a Symphony extension can be found on their site.
Adding it to your site
- Navigate to Pages and edit the page you wish to have FreeGeoIP information
- Add the FreeGeoIP Service Data Source
- Finished! You’ll now see the nodeset in the Page XML.
- Version 0.3.1 19 May 2014
– Confirm compatibility with Symphony 2.4
- Version 0.3 26 April 2014
– Removed superfluous Response XML node that was simply an extra wrapper
– Changed root node to conform to Symphony naming practices
- Version 0.2 25 April 2014
– Switch to making requests over HTTPS.
- Version 0.1 25 April 2014
– Initial public release.